Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Influence

You never know how you can be responsible for influencing someone to do the right thing. I received a phone call just after midnight from a lady in Pecos, Texas who found a preaching Bible belonging to a friend of mine from Stone Mountain, Georgia. Her husband found the Bible on the ground beside a gas pump at a gas station some time ago. My friend's name is embossed on the cover. The lady started looking through it recently to see if she could find my friend's address or phone number so she could return it to him. He did not have his personal information written in there. He had a prayer list, some cards, a church bulletin, an invitation to a 4th of July party from another one of my friends, and an invitation to my annual New Year's Eve Party containing all of my contact information. She took a chance and called me to tell me about the Bible and her desire to return it to its rightful owner. I gave her the contact information she needed and we ended up talking for almost an hour. She has had a lot of trouble in her life and is trying to make serious life-altering changes for herself and her family. She has a lot of stresses in her life from her work, school, and family. I think I was able to calm her down a little bit when I pointed out to her that not all stress is bad. I pray that she will have a better day today. Finding my friend's Bible has helped this lady to start re-evaluating her life. What an influence for good he had without even knowing it!

1 comment:

Velardez said...

Moya,
Hey, I really enjoyed hearing about that. It's crazy how people we have never met can influence us.